Illicit Discharge: Emergency & Useful Contact Information


In the event that you witness an illicit discharge, please contact someone immediatly. Do your best to obtain a video of the violation, including license plate numbers, faces  and/or names of persons involved, and be sure to get as much detail as possible of the what is taking place. 

DEP Emergency Illicit Discharge Number: 1-800-841-2050

PA State Police: 911

Delaware County Hazmat Response: 911

Edgmont Township: 610-459-1662 (During Office Hours: M-F 8:30-4:30 PM)


Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination


What is an Illicit Discharge?

An illicit discharge is an unlawful act of disposing, dumping, spilling, emitting, or other discharge of any substance other than stormwater into the stormwater drainage system. The stormwater drainage system includes streets, ditches, catch basins, yard inlets, lakes, and streams. Illicit discharges cause water pollution by sending pollutants right into creeks, streams, ponds, and lakes. Be sure you know what illicit discharges are so you can help prevent water pollution and keep our streams clean! Prevent water pollution. Call the Township to report an illicit discharge or any type of water pollution in our streams or stormwater inlets. In case of emergencies, call 911.

Examples of Illicit Discharges:
  • Paint being poured into or near the storm drainage system

  • Changing oil or antifreeze over or near a storm structure

  • Washing vehicles where the runoff could drain into the storm drainage system

  • Washing dumpster pads and allowing the runoff to drain into the storm drainage system

What Information Should Be Given When Reporting a Suspected Illicit Discharge?
  • What is your name and best contact information? This information is kept confidential and is only used if the Township requires additional information.

  • What time did you see the discharge? It is important that illicit discharges are reported immediately so the person(s) responsible can be found and the discharge can be cleaned up and corrected as soon as possible. We want to respond as quickly as possible to prevent pollution to our environment.

  • Where did you see the discharge? We'll need an address, intersection, business name, or landmark to help us quickly find the illicit discharge.

  • What do you think the discharge is? Was it a paint spill, oil spill, sewer leak, or some another type of illicit discharge?


Questions and/or Concerns about Illicit Discharges? Please contact the below resources:


Edgmont Township 
Phone Number: 610-459-1662


Delaware County Conservation District (DCCD)
Programs Overseen/Information Provided: DCCD administers the State's program to control sediment pollution from earth disturbance activities (Chapter 102), and processes NPDES applications and seeks compliance toward Stormwater discharge permits for construction activities.
Phone Number: 610-892-9484


PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Southeast Regional Office
Programs Overseen/Information Provided: DEP's mission is to protect Pennsylvania's air, land, and water from pollution and to provide for the health and safety of its citizens through a cleaner environment.
Phone Number: 484-250-5900
Emergency Spill Response Number: 1-800-841-2050


U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Programs Overseen/Information Provided: Conduct broad work to reduce environmental risk and human health. Many of EPA's efforts are seen through regulation of the PA DEP, DCCD, and the Township.


Chester-Ridley-Crum Watersheds Association (CRC)
Programs Overseen/Information Provided: CRC is a nonprofit environmental organization devoted to the protection of the water resources of the Chester, Ridley, and Crum, Creek Valleys in Chester and Delaware Counties.
Phone Number: 610-359-1440